The East Camberwell Tennis Club celebrated its Centenary in 2020.
On April 21st 1920, around twenty people met at the East Camberwell Pavilion Croquet Green, which was part of the East Camberwell Bowling Club, very near East Camberwell Station, to discuss the formation of the East Camberwell Tennis Club. The driving forces appear to have been a Mr. R.R. Thomas and Mr. A.S.W. Higgs. Mr. Higgs was the chairman for the first meeting, but Mr. Thomas was proposed to be the provisional President for the club, with Mr. Higgs nominated as Secretary.
On May 12th a second meeting was held with Mr. Thomas the Chairperson. This time about 30 people attended, including Mr. F.F. Read representing Camberwell Council. [He would later that year become a Vice President of the club.] It was at this meeting that the name East Camberwell Tennis Club was formally proposed and agreed, that the location in Riversdale Park was confirmed and royal blue and gold approved to be the official Club colours.
To read more about the Club’s history, below are links to a number of documents. Some have been researched and written recently, some extracted from Committee Meeting records and some based on articles in newspapers such as The Argus, The Herald and The Age from dates as early as 1921.