About Gardens Tennis
Gardens Tennis Club (previously Darwin Tennis Association) has provided a venue for tennis for over four decades. The Darwin Tennis Association was registered as an Incorporated Association on 1 June 1958, and was granted a Special Purpose Lease (in perpetuity) over the land occupied by the clubhouse, car park and courts, by the Northern Territory Government in 1983. Gardens Tennis Club continues to hold this lease.
The Gardens Tennis complex is one of the largest and the only community-based tennis facility in Darwin with a very significant current and future role in supporting and growing tennis participation in Darwin and the Northern Territory. The Gardens Tennis Club won the prestigious Tennis NT Club of the Year Award in 2016, 2018 and 2019.
Mission and Objectives
The mission of Gardens Tennis Club is to provide innovative, friendly and professional family and community tennis playing, coaching and well-being opportunities for players of all ages and abilities, and to work co-operatively with the Service Provider to meet the following objectives, as set out in the Gardens Tennis Club Constitution 2017:
- To encourage, promote and support increased participation in tennis at the Club in line with the Tennis NT Strategic Plan
- To co-operate and affiliate with other relevant organisations, including Tennis NT, for the betterment of tennis in the Northern Territory
- In line with the Tennis NT Facilities Strategy, to further develop and promote the Club as a large community facility
- To develop and implement a Facilities Master Plan with defined annual items and costs
- To increase the programs and services offered to the community, through general tennis, tournaments, school and corporate participation and to enhance junior development
- To grow membership
- To increase annual sponsorship.
Gardens Tennis Club Committee
Detail of the composition and mechanism of appointment of Committee, its operation and functions and powers are set out in clause 4 “Management” of the Gardens Tennis Club Constitution.
Meet your current committe members on The Team page!
Gardens Tennis Club/DTA Life Members: Horrie Kneebone (dec), John Britton, Thelma Britton
Gardens Tennis Club Patron: The Honourable Sally Thomas, AC
Good Sports Program
We are proud to be a Good Sports Level 3 accredited club.
Sporting clubs such as ours play a significant role in the community and have a responsibility to our members and their families. We have chosen to join over 6,500 clubs across Australia taking part in the Australian Drug Foundation’s Good Sports program. Through Good Sports we are committed to managing alcohol responsibly and ensuring smoke free areas, which we believe will help us to provide a healthy, safe and family friendly environment.
Through Good Sports we aim to:
- Eliminate risky drinking in the club through the promotion of a responsible approach to the sale and consumption of alcohol in the club
- Protect juniors and other young people from the misuse of alcohol in and around the club
- Provide a responsible smoke-free club environment, through designated smoking areas.
By completing level 3, Gardens Tennis Club has reached the top of the Good Sports program and aims to continue to maintain level 3 status, opening up opportunities for more participants, spectators and sponsors, along with a vastly improved environment for children and families.