As in many country towns, tennis has long been a popular sport in Murrumbateman. There are records of a tennis club being in the town dating back to at least 1905. A tennis court was originally situated in the school grounds and later behind the school in Rose Street. This court belonged to the school and was administered by the Parents and Citizens Association. There were also two courts in Camp Street which were used by the general public.
During the development of the Murrumbateman Soldier’s Memorial Park and Showground provision was made for three new courts, which were completed in 1954. The courts were officially opened on 24 October that year by Victor Jelliman on behalf of Sir Walter Merriman.
In 2007, at the urging of longtime Club Secretary Libby Turner, the Yass Valley Council agreed to fund a major upgrade to the courts. The project was backed by the Murrumbateman Progress Association and has resulted in a first class facility with 3 excellent synthetic grass courts.
The Murrumbateman Tennis Club has an active junior tennis coaching program.
In August 2011 the club became incorporated under the NSW Associations Incorporation Act and is now formally known as Murrumbateman Tennis Club Inc. You can view our constitution here.