Our History

The name Ironbark has its roots in the earliest days of the gold rush. The site of the tennis courts is located in the area where stood one of the richest, publicly owned gold mines .

In November, 1928 a Mr Alfred Thomas and Mr. Frank Mollard canvassed the Ironbark area to gauge the number of young families that would be interested in playing tennis . 

Seventeen residents attended a public meeting on the 15th November, 1928.   Thus, the first tennis committee was formed to provide courts for young families. Once permission was given, the committee focused on developing the land and organising working bees and fund raising.  Working bees commenced in November, 1929, one year later.

The official opening of the Ironbark Tennis Club was held on the 14th February, 1932. In the following August, the construction of the hall began.  Dances and card evenings helped provide funds for further development.  Additional courts were then added.  A number of palm trees were donated by nurseryman, Mr Herbert Keck.  These palms can still be seen when visiting the courts.  They were just relocated around the courts when roadworks took place. 

The original club rooms still exist. and are used on a Saturday for afternoon tea.  We now have four synthetic, grass courts which are wonderful to play on. 

We are still a very social club and our membership continues to consist of a number of young families.