How to find us
Callide Valley Tennis Association
Corner Prairie & Hospital Rd
The Callide Valley Tennis Association was established in 1929. Several clubs were initially affiliated and fixtures were played every Sunday around the district. This form of fixtures continued until the early 1960s when all fixtures were moved to Biloela.
Prior to the association’s establishment, most local tennis was played at courts on private property owned by Mr. R. Brown.
These were located on the southern side of the railway lines and were still being used in 1939. The very first tournament in the local area was held in 1929.
In the early 1940s, Courts 1, 2 and 3 were built in the current position on Prairie Street with a very elementary three-sided shed. During the 1960s, Courts 4, 5, 6 and 7 were constructed and a more extensive clubhouse was developed. This building still serves the association today and has been continually improved, including the addition of two shaded areas, a child supervision area and a playground. In 1976, Courts 8, 9 and 10 were built on the opposite side of Prairie Street.
In 1981, Courts 1 - 4 were upgraded with a flexipave surface and these courts have been resurfaced 3 times, most recently in 2011. In 1985, Courts 5, 6 and 7 were covered with artificial grass and Courts 8, 9 and 10 were upgraded with a flexipave surface. By 1992 Courts 8, 9 and 10 were cracking and were resurfaced with artificial grass as an interim measure. In 2011, a stabiliser was put on top of the existing base of these three courts and new artificial grass was laid due to extensive cracking.
Callide Valley Tennis Association has offered coaching since the early 1980’s and the Tuesday Ladies have been playing for approximately for 50 years.