Club History

The Floreat Park Tennis Club was founded in 1938 on its present site which at that time was a short walk through bushland because the road finished at Selby Street. The Club initially boasted 12 lawn courts with a clubhouse built a few years later.

It was a members’ only club playing principally on Saturday afternoon and Sunday with a Ladies morning on Tuesday. The Club was very well supported and Saturday afternoon social play often saw members having to sit off every second set. A very active junior club was co-ordinated by members and professional coaching was available. Floreat was affiliated with the then WA Lawn Tennis Association and fielded a number of very strong senior and junior pennant teams.

By the late 1980’s various pressures suggested that a significant change was needed. In 1990 after much investigation of the options and consultation with our then local authority the City of Perth, WALTA, local residents and members the Club converted to synthetic grass courts and a new clubhouse immediately followed. The redevelopment was made possible only by a huge amount of work by members. Synthetic grass was the chosen surface due to the potential for year round and night play, ease of maintenance and body kindliness.

Despite strong opposition from adjacent residents in 1994 courts 9-12 were lit for night play. In 2005 after much lobbying the carpark was constructed and in 2008 the remainder of the courts were lit. In 2010 the Club welcomed a new maintenance regime introduced by our now local authority the Town of Cambridge. This has greatly reduced the amount of self-help from members needed in earlier years.

Floreat Park Tennis Club is now a very viable first class tennis facility serving the local community day and evening all year round. Members enjoy a range of social play opportunities and other club events, participation in Tennis West League teams, use of courts for casual play and a full social program in the modern clubrooms. Club Manager/Coach Andy Mackechnie and his team offer a wide range of professional tennis coaching options for players of all standards and also handle all court hire. The Club has come a long way since those early days of 1938!